The Spring 2009 issue of the American Numismatic Society's ANS magazine has a number of interesting feature articles:
- The Fairest of Mortal Cities: The History and Coinage of Akragas by Andrew Meadows
- "Purely Social and Quite Informal" - The Centennial of the New York Numismatic Club, by John M. Kleeberg
- Land and Sky: The Medallic Work of Ron Dutton by Donald Scarinci
- The Charles Anderson Dana Medal by Augustus Saint-Gaudens (1899) by Robert Hoge
The issue also features a number of society-related articles, including
- Library News by Elizabeth Hahn
- Current Cabinet Activities by Robert Hoge
- Obituary of Dr. Julius Korein
- From the Collections manager: Recent Acquisitions by Elena Stolyarik
- Book Reviews
- Recent News
The issue is well illustrated and nicely laid out, as always. Kleeberg's article is a great history of numismatics in New York, touching on not only the ANS and the New York Numismatic Club, but the American Numismatic Association as well. Below is an photo taken at the inaugural meeting of the NYNC at Keen's Chop House.
Bob Hoge's extensive article on the Charles Anderson Dana medal was inspired by a recent eBay purchase for the society.
Bibliophiles will especially enjoy the book reviews (on George Selgin's Good Money and Medieval Slavic Coinages in the Balkans by Dimnik and Dobrinic) and Elizabeth Hahn's Library news. Kudos to the following individuals for their recent book donations:
- Mr. William A. Burd
- Mr. Frank L. Kovack
- Mr. Anthony Terranova
Her article includes a list of all ANS Librarians from 1858 to date.
QUICK QUIZ: without peeking at the article, who can tell us who was the first librarian of the American Numismatic Society?
THE BOOK BAZARRE DAVID SKLOW - FINE NUMISMATIC BOOKS
Sale #7 closed Saturday June 13th 2009. I would like to extend a hearty thank you to all bidders and consignors! Prices realized will be posted on my web site as soon as possible. Next Sale #8 is scheduled for October 3rd 2009. www.finenumismaticbooks.com
. PH: (719) 302-5686, FAX: (719) 302-4933. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Wayne Homren, Editor
The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. See our web site at coinbooks.org.
To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, write to the Editor
at this address: email@example.com
To subscribe go to: https://my.binhost.com/lists/listinfo/esylum
Copyright © 1998 - 2012 The Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS)
All Rights Reserved.
NBS Home Page
Contact the NBS webmaster