Last week I wrote:
So here's our quiz from Fred Michaelson: which U.S. coins include an image of a baby? For extra credit, name the baby. One coin should easily come to mind; Fred and I can think of at least three, of which two have names. For collectors outside the U.S., send us images of numismatic items featuring depictions of babies.
Several readers responded. Thanks!
Pete Smith got all three. He writes:
The first that came to mind is Virginia Dare on the Roanoke Island Half.
Jean-Baptiste Charbonneau, also known as "Pomp." appears on an infrequently seen coin.
The Elgin, Illinois Half has an unnamed Pioneer woman with an unnamed child in her arms.
I would guess many would miss the Oregon Trail Half. In the wagon is a tiny woman holding something that might be a baby.
Paul Horner offered a more comprehensive list. He writes:
1. Oregon Trail Half Dollar, 1926-39. The pioneers wife is holding their baby.
2. Roanoke Island Half Dollar, 1937. The Baby is of course Virginia Dare.
3. Sacagawea Dollar 2000-. The papoose is her son, Jean Baptiste.
Not! : the 2003 Missouri Quarter. The 3rd person in the boat is not Sacagawea & Jean Baptiste, it is York, a black slave.
4. Another "possible" is the Nebraska Quarter, 2006. One of the riders in the covered wagon may be holding a baby.
5. Also, though not really a baby but a young child, check out the Panama-Pacific Exposition Half Dollar from 1915.
6. Another young child is standing on the 2004 Iowa Quarter.
7. And that's a real babe on the 1992 XXV Olympiad Half Dollar...
8. But no doubt my favorite buxom babe of all is depicted on the 1804 Silver Dollar!
Greg Adams writes:
Jean-Baptiste on Reverse of The Sacagawea Golden Dollar,
Virginia Dare being held by Ellinor Dare on reverse of Roanoke Island, North Carolina: (1937)
Cherub on obverse of 1915 Pan Pacific Expo Dollar
As a bonus… Arguably a baby in Mothers lap while driving the wagon on reverse of Oregon Trail Commem…
since you didn’t specify “Human” babies… we also have the Chicks on the back of both the 2008 Bald eagle commemorative and the current Gold bullion pieces.
I don't believe that we specified that the babies had to be human.
To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:
QUICK QUIZ: BABY COINS
THE BOOK BAZARRE
OVER 500 NUMISMATIC TITLES
Wizard Coin Supply has over 300 numismatic titles in stock,
competitively discounted, and available for immediate shipment.
See our selection at
Wayne Homren, Editor
The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. See our web site at coinbooks.org.
To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, write to the Editor
at this address: email@example.com
To subscribe go to: https://my.binhost.com/lists/listinfo/esylum
Copyright © 1998 - 2020 The Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS)
All Rights Reserved.
NBS Home Page
Contact the NBS webmaster