Quasquicentennial medals of the Antiquarian and Numismatic Society of Montreal Medals are available from Jacob Lipson. Here's the press release.
Jacob Lipson has recently acquired a group of medals produced to commemorate the 125th anniversary of the founding of the Montreal Antiquarian and Numismatic Society. A strictly limited number of medals in silver and a small quantity in bronze are available through
Adelard J. Boucher, Stanley C. Bagg, Joseph A. Manseau, and 17 additional charter members founded what was originally the Société Numismatique de Montreal on December 9, 1862 — the first numismatic organization in Canada and one of the first in North America. Four years later, the Society incorporated archaeological studies as part of its mandate and changed its name to the Antiquarian and Numismatic Society of Montreal. It also adopted a new seal at that time, featuring a crossed tomahawk and calumet with a Roman lamp above, a Greek coin left, the obverse of a Canadian cent right, and a beaver below.
The Society established a house organ, the Canadian Antiquarian and Numismatic Journal, in 1872. The first series ran through 1886. Publication resumed in 1889 and continued through 1894 (second series). The third series was published from 1897 to 1916, and the fourth from 1930 to 1933. To this day, the articles published by the Society remain the high-water mark for numismatic research in this country.
The year 1895 saw the Antiquarian and Numismatic Society of Montreal take up residence at the Chateau Ramezay, an 18th century residence built in 1705 for Montreal's 11th governor, Claude de Ramezay, saving it from demolition. The Society established a Museum of Canadian History at the Chateau, part of which included an extensive numismatic collection formed in large part through the acquisition of the collection of Robert W. McLachlan.
Today, the Chateau Ramezay continues to serve as Québec's oldest private history museum, dedicated to preserving and highlighting the history of Montreal and the Province of Québec through artifacts and exhibits. In 2010, UNESCO named the Chateau Ramezay among the "1001 Historic Sites You Must See Before You Die," one of only 14 Canadian sites to make the list.
The medals were struck by C. Lamond et Fils in 1987 to commemorate the 125th anniversary of the Antiquarian and Numismatic Society of Montreal. The obverse showcases three fleur de lys at centre with a latin legend around: ARCHEOLOGICAE ET NUMISMATICAE MARIANOPOLITANAE SOCIETATIS. The medal is doubled-dated with Roman numerals. The reverse features the coat of arms of Claude de Ramezay with CLAUDE DE RAMEZAY below.
Sharp-eyed collectors will notice, however, that the numeral intended to represent of the year the Society was founded, 1862, is actually recorded in error as MCXXXLXII rather than MDCCCLXII. Only a handful of medals were sold before the mistake was noticed and distribution ceased.
Medals are available in silver and bronze. Each features an antique finish and measures 70mm in diameter and 4mm in thickness. Silver medals are struck in 999 pure silver (5.11 Troy ounces) and are numbered on the edge. Both silver and bronze medals are cased in blue and burgundy velvet boxes, respectively.
To read the complete article, see:
125th Anniversary of the Antiquarian and Numismatic Society of Montreal Medals Available
Wayne Homren, Editor
The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. See our web site at coinbooks.org.
To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, write to the Editor
at this address: email@example.com
To subscribe go to: https://my.binhost.com/lists/listinfo/esylum
Copyright © 1998 - 2021 The Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS)
All Rights Reserved.
NBS Home Page
Contact the NBS webmaster