The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

PREV ARTICLE       NEXT ARTICLE       FULL ISSUE       PREV FULL ISSUE      

V29 2026 INDEX       E-SYLUM ARCHIVE

The E-Sylum: Volume 29, Number 33, 2026, Article 22

LOOSE CHANGE: AUGUST 16, 2026

Here are some additional items in the media this week that may be of interest. -Editor

Stolen Art Recovered in Italy and Brazil

Museum heists, sometimes including coins, have been in the news in recent years. Here's a recovery story from Italy. -Editor

  stolen paintings recovered in Italy

If 2025 was the year of the museum robbery, perhaps 2026 will be the year of the recovery. On Friday, Italian police announced that they had recovered three artworks stolen in March from the Fondazione Magnani Rocca near Parma in Northern Italy, according to Reuters.

The recovered paintings are Paul Cezanne's Still Life with Cherries (1890), Pierre-Auguste Renoir's late-career Les Poissons (1917), and Henri Matisse's Odalisque on the Terrace (1922).

Their collective value is said to be in excess of $10.4 million. A report by the BBC in March noted that Les Poissons, the sole oil on canvas, is worth the most, valued at around €6 million ($6.9 million). The Cézanne and Matisse are both works on paper.

To read the complete article, see:
Italian Police Recover $10 M. Worth of Artworks by Cezanne, Matisse, and Renoir (artnews.com/art-news/news/italian-police-recover-artworks-cezanne-matisse-and-renoir-1234794996/)

And another from Brazil. -Editor

The police in Brazil recovered eight stolen works by Henri Matisse on Thursday, officials said, months after armed men made off with them from a library in São Paulo.

The police tracked the pieces, which belong to the French master's 1947 series called “Jazz,” to an apartment in the suburb of São Bernardo do Campo, the São Paulo city government and the police said.

The pieces were stolen in December from the Mário de Andrade Library, São Paulo's largest, during public viewing hours. Along with the eight Matisses, the thieves also took five works by the Brazilian modernist painter Candido Portinari, the authorities said.

To read the complete article, see:
8 Matisse Works, Looted from Library in Brazil, Are Recovered (nytimes.com/2026/08/14/world/americas/matisse-stolen-art-found-sao-paulo-brazil-heist.html)

Here's one from my Alma Mater, the University of Pittsburgh. -Editor

On the morning of February 6, 1961, a graduate student and dormitory aide at the University of Pittsburgh reported Picasso's painting "Femme dans un fauteuil" (1918) missing from the Students Union building. The 13.5-by-10.5-inch oil had been on loan from the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation for an exhibition in the fall semester, and was due to be returned to the museum later that month. The school reported the theft to the Pittsburgh Police Department and the FBI was swiftly brought in to investigate, but despite a slew of news articles, notifications to institutions across North America, and a reward for information, the case went cold.

More than six decades later, the Guggenheim says the painting has turned up, and it is headed to court to get it back.

In a lawsuit filed in New York State Supreme Court this week, the Guggenheim Foundation accused Massachusetts residents Lawrence Jay Handler and Wendy Cohen Handler of unlawfully withholding the painting, disregarding the museum's ownership rights, and unjustly benefiting from possessing stolen property.

According to court filings, the Handlers purchased "Femme dans un fauteuil" from Beadleston Fine Art in Manhattan in 1999, nearly 40 years after it went missing in Pittsburgh. But the Guggenheim learned of the painting's reappearance only in July 2023, when a researcher at Christie's who was looking into the work for a private sale consignment brought it to the museum's attention.

To read the complete article, see:
A Picasso Vanished in 1961. The Guggenheim Now Wants It Back (hyperallergic.com/a-picasso-vanished-in-1961-the-guggenheim-now-wants-it-back/)

Will I live long enough to see the loot from the 1990 Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum theft turn up? -Editor

Thirteen Perfect Fugitives book cover For decades, the 1990 theft of 13 artworks from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum — now valued at more than $500 million — has remained unsolved.

It remains the largest art theft in history — far surpassing more recent museum thefts, including a daylight heist at the Louvre involving far fewer works that was resolved more quickly. In 2013, the FBI said it knew who was responsible for the Boston museum heist but declined to name them, fueling speculation that persists today.

A former FBI agent who led the investigation for more than two decades is now offering the first detailed account of how investigators reached that conclusion — and publicly identifying the men he believes were involved. In a new book, "Thirteen Perfect Fugitives," Geoffrey Kelly traces how the artworks moved through criminal networks, where violence took the lives of key suspects and witnesses, and challenges long-circulating theories by revisiting key details.

To read the complete article, see:
nside the world's largest art heist when over $500M of paintings were stolen from a Boston museum (https://apnews.com/article/isabella-stewart-gardner-museum-art-heist-boston-512da0322ce5c93c1bbafc7a5e228b2c)

Rhue E-Sylum ad07 coin right



Wayne Homren, Editor

Google
 
NBS (coinbooks.org) Web

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization promoting numismatic literature. See our web site at coinbooks.org.

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, write to the Editor at this address: whomren@gmail.com

To subscribe go to: Subscribe

PREV ARTICLE       NEXT ARTICLE       FULL ISSUE       PREV FULL ISSUE      

V29 2026 INDEX       E-SYLUM ARCHIVE

Copyright © 1998 - 2025 The Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS)
All Rights Reserved.

NBS Home Page
Contact the NBS webmaster
coin