This article from Friday's Denver Post describes some tense moments at the U.S. Mint in Denver this week. Luckily, no one was injured. -EditorEmployees at the Denver Mint were evacuated after smoke filled the ventilation system early this afternoon.
Guillermo Hernandez, chief of public affairs for the Mint, said that at about 1:40 p.m., smoke was noticed on the floor of the main press room.
Hernandez said workers in the room - where coins are pressed - triggered the fire alarm, and the entire day shift of 120 people was evacuated.
Some welding or grinding was going on involving one of the machines on the main floor press room, Hernandez said, and some of the sparks were sucked into the nearby exhaust system, starting a fire.
He said fire fighters had to climb to the second floor of the Mint and shoot water down the air duct system.
Although fire fighters were able to put out the fire within a few minutes, Hernandez said that an extensive water cleanup is involved.
To read the complete article, see: Fire prompts evacuation of Denver Mint (http://www.denverpost.com/ci_10567376)
Wayne Homren, Editor
The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization promoting numismatic literature. See our web site at coinbooks.org.
To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, write to the Editor at this address: firstname.lastname@example.org
To subscribe go to: https://my.binhost.com/lists/listinfo/esylum
All Rights Reserved.
NBS Home Page
Contact the NBS webmaster