Regarding the security features in the new Bermuda notes, I'm sure there are more than those few enumerated in the E-Sylum article. For instance, I'd wager there are extensive ultraviolet features. A recent note that is absolutely loaded with security features is the Hong Kong $10 of 2002. The first time I saw one I knew I had to use it as a teaching aid in my counterfeit courses. Comparing the two, items 1-5 below are those mentioned for the Bermuda note; the ones 6-9 are those in the HK note:
1. Watermark and hibiscus flower visible when held to light (an orchid in the HK note)
2. See-through feature when held to light (also in the HK note)
3. Serial numbers increasing in size (not used for the HK note)
4. Iridescent band on the $20, $50 and $100 denominations (present in the HK note, with a face value of only US$1.30)
5. Latent image (tilt the image and the denomination numeral appears) (present in the HK note, but not part of the intaglio printing, which it where latent images usually appear)
6. Ultraviolet denomination block center face
7. Ultraviolet-reactive red and blue-green threads embedded in the paper (invisible in white light)
8. Windowed security thread
9. Mechanical embossing in three areas of the note
About the only current features not present on the HK note are the Eurion Constellation, an optically-variable device ("hologram"), and lettering in the windowed thread. The HK note was reissued in 2007 on a polymer substrate - all of the above features are still present except for the threads (UV and windowed). An added feature is a transparent window in the polymer, taking the place of part of the watermark (but two areas of watermark are still present, even in the polymer). For a note of such low face value, it's a model of technology.
Wayne Homren, Editor
The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization promoting numismatic literature. See our web site at coinbooks.org.
To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, write to the Editor at this address: firstname.lastname@example.org
To subscribe go to: https://my.binhost.com/lists/listinfo/esylum
All Rights Reserved.
NBS Home Page
Contact the NBS webmaster