BOWERS DUBIOUS ON DUBOIS
Dave Bowers writes:
"It is interesting to learn of all of the cover variations of the 1850 Eckfeldt-Dubois work. In case anyone is interested, it is my somewhat studied opinion that W.E. Dubois, a highly competent and literate man, turned "sour" in the spring of 1859--the time when the openness of restriking, making patterns to order, etc., so visible (cf. Taxay's "U.S. Mint and Coinage," Joel Orosz' memorable study of Gilmor, etc., etc.) up to that time, went "underground." This caused many of the later statements of Dubois to be discredited. The problem with Dubois is that, probably, 95% of what he said was truthful, but we are all left to figure out exactly where the other 5% is."
Wayne Homren, Editor
Content presented in The E-Sylum is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.
This is a static archive page documenting the originally published content. Links were active at the time of publication but may no longer work. Check subsequent issues for corrections and commentary.
The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization promoting numismatic literature. For more information please see
our web site at http://www.coinbooks.org/ There is a membership application available on the web site. To join, print the application and return it with your check to the address printed on the application. Visit the Membership page.
Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers (or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page
To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, write to the Editor
at this address: E-Sylum Editor
Copyright © 1998 - 2020 The Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS)
All Rights Reserved.
NBS Home Page
Contact the NBS Webmaster