The Third Philadelphia Mint Building, which Community College of Philadelphia acquired in 1971, occupies land that was once a part of
Springettsbury Manor, an almost 2,000 acre tract of land owned by William Penn. The land was named for his wife, Gulielma Springett.
The building that would become Community College of Philadelphia's permanent home formerly served as the Third Philadelphia Mint from 1901 to
1969. The vast history of the Mint Building—as well as the site it occupies—is an important part of Philadelphia's heritage.
Due to increasing production demands, the U.S. Mint commissioned the building of a new Mint, to be Philadelphia's third, in the late 1880s.
The building was designed under William Aiken, the supervisory architect of the U.S. Mint, and built under his successor, John Taylor Knox.